Tuesday 12 June 2012

Introduction to DiskImage GUI on X1000

I wanted to show you DiskImage GUI, a very useful utility included standard with AmigaOS 4.1.5 on the AmigaOne X1000.

It allows you to mount virtual CD (ISO, CCD) images and Amiga ADF and DMS disks on the Amiga, and access the contents of the disks as though you had the CD or disk physically.

I realise many people may already know about this feature, but I think it is worth mentioning anyway. I undertook a large project to convert all my CD's and disks to ADF and ISO/CCD a while ago so I can access them from hard disk without fumbling around drawers looking for disks.

On the X1000, DiskImageGUI is running as a commodity in the background and the GUI can be activated at any time by pressing CTRL-ALT-D. I dragged the DiskImageGUI icon from the System drive to the dock at the bottom of the workbench screen for quick access to it, as I find it faster than the shortcut key I just mentioned.

In the example screenshot below I have two Personal Paint floppy disk images and 2 CD images open in DiskImage GUI (an AmigaOS4 game called BOH and the AmigaOS 4.1.5 live CD)



You can eject or mount disk in the GUI as shown in the image above. You can also mount disks by double clicking on an ISO or ADF file on the hard disk.

Please note that non-DOS Amiga ADF/DMS disk images (most games) contents cannot be viewed using this utility under Workbench. AmigaOS friendly DOS ADF disks work fine.

I found that if you don't eject the ISO or ADF files before turning off the X1000 (or rebooting it) they will still be mounted when the Amiga boots again. Just use the GUI with CTRL-ALT-D to eject any images you don't need anymore.

It is a great utility on the X1000 and I recommend everyone use it!

As a side note: Disk Image GUI is also available on Classic AmigaOS 3.9 and earlier. I use it on my Amiga 4000T extensively for the same purpose as the X1000. It can be downloaded from Aminet for Classic Amigas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.